Evernight Teen Publishing

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Interview with Charlotte McConaghy, Author of Fury: Book 1 of The Cure

I'm super excited! I had the opportunity to interview Ms. Charlotte McConaghy, the incredible talent behind Fury: Book One of The Cure. I've read and reviewed all three episodes now and cannot say enough positive things about the amazing Dystopian world Ms. McConaghy created!

Read below for the complete interview, author bio, and buy links!




1.) Who is your favorite author and why?

Laini Taylor, because she combines beautiful prose with wonderful characters, incredibly imaginative worlds and stories, and the dark, beautiful elements of fairytales that I love.

2.) If you could co-write with another author who would it be and why? 

I’d love to co-write something with Guy Gavriel Kay, as he was the reason I first became a writer, and a lover of the fantasy genre. Melina Marchetta would be amazing to write with too, as she has such a great ability to create and weave character complexities.

3.) The world is under attack and you are forced to run for your life. You only have room to take one book with you, what book do you take? 

No! Don’t make me choose! I have so many favourites, and having no new books is my ultimate nightmare. Maybe, if I really have to, I would pick ‘Daughter of Smoke and Bone’ by Laini Taylor, or ‘The Princess Bride’ by William Goldman… or ‘Tigana’ by Guy Gavriel Kay. But don’t make me choose.

4.) Who are your favorite literary characters? (Yours or someone else's) 

Karou and Akiva from ‘Daughter of Smoke and Bone’ are two of my favourites. What a tragic love story theirs is. I love the cleverness of Jacob Marlow from ‘The Last Werewolf’. I love Darrow’s courage in ‘Red Rising’. And if I’m choosing one of my own, at the moment I love Josephine, as I’m right in the thick of writing the sequel to Fury, so she is filling every inch of my head.

 
5.) Where do you do your best work? 

I wrote my first novel sitting on the couch in front of the tv, surrounded by noise and family and pets and distractions, which seems utterly bizarre to me now, as I have to be alone at my desk with particular music playing. And night time helps, too.


6.) When did you fall in love...with writing? 

 
 
 
 
I’ve always been in love with stories, and I suppose I wrote a lot as a kid—just little bits and pieces here and there—but it never really occurred to me that I could take it seriously until I was fourteen and decided to write a book. From that point on the process of it filled me with a thrilling passion, and I haven’t been able to stop since. It hasn’t once occurred to me that I’d be able to spend my life doing anything else.

7.) What is the one story you wish you’d written? Why?

Well I guess it would have to be the same answer as my favourite book and author, ‘Daughter of Smoke and Bone’ by Laini Taylor, because it’s such a powerful love story, full of the fantastical, and it was such an unexpected joy to read.

8.) What is your favorite thing to do outside of writing?

At the moment, if I’m not writing I’m either reading, watching movies, or spending time with friends and family. I love having lazy wine and cheese evenings or cooking a nice meal.

9.) Please tell us a bit about your latest release.

Fury is the first in a trilogy set in a dystopian future where anger has been cured by the government. Josephine, the protagonist, is the last remaining uncured soul, and she’s plagued by demons from her past as she tries to find a way to survive the cold world with her only friend Luke for help.

10.) What inspired you to write Fury, and how did you come up with such an intriguing concept?

I had the character of Josi in my head long before I figured out the rest of the story. I knew I wanted to tell the tale of a woman who believed she was transforming under the moon, who was burdened by the fear of having committed atrocities, and I didn’t know initially if it was going to be a real transformation or a figment of having endured such a traumatic childhood. The world came when I realized that I wanted to counteract Josi’s fury, and what better way to do that than with a society that has lost the ability to empathize with anger? The world gradually took shape after that, as I realized I wanted to look at why we sometimes seem so frightened of extreme emotions, and like science-fiction should, it looks at what might happen if we continue to be frightened. 

11.) What advice would you give to other aspiring authors?

The only advice I can really give is to be determined, be resilient, be passionate and be brave.

12.) What’s next for you? (More Fury, pretty please)

Yes, more Fury is on its way soon! I’m in the process of writing its sequel, which I’m having a lot of fun with. I’m also releasing the second book in my fantasy series, The Chronicles of Kaya, in July/August this year, which I’m excited about. I have some screenwriting projects on the go as well, just to spice things up a bit. 

 
Charlotte grew up with her nose in a book and her head in the clouds. At fourteen, her English teacher told her that the short story she'd submitted was wildly romantic, so she decided to write a novel. Thus began her foray into epic fantasy and dystopian sci-fi, with sweeping romances, heroic adventures, and as much juicy drama as she could possibly squeeze in.

Her first novel, Arrival, was published at age seventeen, and was followed by Descent, which launched The Strangers of Paragor series, an adventure fantasy for teenagers.

She then wrote her first adult fantasy novel, Avery, the prologue of which came to her in a very vivid dream. Her second adult novel, Fury, is the first in a romantic science-fiction series called The Cure, set in a dystopian future.

Charlotte currently lives in Sydney, having just finished a Masters in Screenwriting from the Australian Film, Television & Radio School. With her television pilot script, she won the Australian Writer's Guild Award for Best Unproduced Screenplay of 2013. She will, however, always be a novelist at heart, still unable to get her nose out of the books.

 
                                         
                                             Buy Fury here: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment